Tuesday, June 24, 2008

A Daily Ritual Gone Awry

After a hard day at work and what I choose to picture as a perfect day at school Alex and I head out of La Petite. As a daily ritual Alex always stops by the cracker basket near the front door. In this cute little wicker basket are individual packages of club crackers (I think that's what they're called...the "elves" make them??). The ritual continues as we play 'can you find mommy's car' and we count to 3 and take a big jump off the curb into the parking lot. I open the backseat of the car and Alex in his "I do it" stage proceeds to climb into the backseat, scale the car seat and then plop into his car seat with a happy "I did it!". I should mention that he "delicately" throws the wrapped crackers into the floor board before his climb and gets to munch on his snack on the way home once mommy buckles him in. Of course this another opportunity for us to practice "may I please have my crackers mommy" and a "thank you for my crackers mommy"...really - that's what I hear him say (and then monkey's fly by and and m&m's fall from the sky...blah, blah).

ANYWHO to the "awry" part of this ritual. Today we have our perfect days, grab the crackers in said cute wicker basket, count and jump off the curb, find our car and then Alex realizes there's another car next to ours...but it's about his height...and the windows are down...and they have a floor board, so I am guessing he reasoned why not put the crackers there today. So with all his 2 year old might he chucks the crackers and they land perfectly in said strange car...but this doesn't stop the rest of the routine. "I do it" climbs into his seat and then demands his crackers..ugh, I mean he politely requests a snack of crackers... I look at the other car for a very brief moment contemplating the potential meltdown about to ensue vs. just sticking my arm into said strange car for the crackers that would, at this point, "save the day." Ugh...okay I can't do that...and I can't have a "melty' child. So a quick diversion into the promise of chicken nuggets and french fries for dinner 'saved' the night.

I finish the night, certain that it was intentional, for nights just like this that the daycare was built right next to McDonald's.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Okay, this is one of the best! And the way you tell the story, your writing, is just awesome!
HI, Mara's - From, The Denning's!